Sunday, August 26, 2012

August 26th ~ Bacon Jam, 'Nuff Said!

There are few things in life you can count on to be true. Especially in an election year! But there is no denying that everything is better with Bacon. Or Bacon makes everything better which ever way you want to go, it is the Gospel Truth!

And to prove it, I have made Bacon Jam!


OK, not that kind of Jam...


THIS kind of Jam!!!

Where has this been all my life, indeed!

So I cook the 1 lb of bacon down, remove it from pan and set aside saving all meltdown for the rest of the goodies. I chopped two small onions, 1/2 of a red pepper that was labeled as a Serrano in the produce department but was rung up as a $4 organic pepper. It tasted unlike a Serrano and not worth $4 but I thought it could offer color and balance to the onion.Chopped 4 cloves of garlic too, added a shake or two of paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper, then about a a couple tablespoons of cider vinegar. 

All the recipes I found do some variation of brown sugar, bourbon and maple syrup. But I pulled out my own secret weapon...

  
  ...OH yeah! That is Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey!

I slow cook it all down then add the bacon back in. I let it simmer on low for another hour; all along tweaking the flavors.  


Then I take it off the heat and let it rest. After it has cooled a bit I put it in the blender.


...It is like a dream...


Life changer here folks! 






No comments:

Post a Comment