Wednesday, August 22, 2012

August 22 ~ In Hindsight...

So, I see where Bob's Small Town Grille is hiring a line cook, again. I didn't apply this time. He is getting specific, 'experienced' line cook; aka, Hey Red, Please Don't Apply, Again. (or "Ever Again" is how it makes me feel). Though I am confident, this 'restaurant' has no idea who I am.

Ya know, that is OK. What was I thinking anyway? A little under a year ago, I had this idea to change my life. I drove 10,000 miles shedding everything that was familiar; preparing myself for this new life. I have practiced my chopping, my sauteing, my braising, my grilling... every week. I have learned what depouillage, emincer, and fleurons mean, even if I don't really know how to say these words. I write about and I talk about it and I study it and I dream about it...but Bob is right. I have not experienced it.

I wish BSTG knew that he has nothing on Maude Fisher and Green Shutter Tearoom. And that there is nothing he can teach me or wish I would know that Maude didn't already teach when I was 13; she even prepared me for river rats in string bikinis and muddy trunks that can 'no class' your tiny cafe///we cooked on a wood stove there, so I couldn't get experience 'on the line'. BSTG  probably doesn't have anything on Judy Fountain who taught me how to run a station/section like my life depended on it. The proper way to clear a table; the pride of a properly bused set of tables; fully stocked station to pay off at the Dillard House Jr.. Those skills paid my bills through my 20's...all those restaurants later...

But other then yelling 'this gravy is cold', 'steak is over done', 'they ordered onion rings not baked potato'; I have no idea what it takes to be a line cook...at of end of the day I don't really want to be a line cook. I want to see you love food for its infinite gifts ~ nourishment, memories, creativity, thoughtfulness....

Maybe that is only possible at the Freckle Face Cafe?? Maybe it is only possible to see what you want by what you create for yourself. Maybe it isn't about having to be a part of something that is out there ..maybe it is about waiting for the right time to share a part of you...



No comments:

Post a Comment