Sunday, May 6, 2012

May 6th

Rhubarb three ways! Who Knew?


Rhubarb holds a dear place in my heart. It reminds me of a place, both in land mass and time, where I was completely happy and unaffected by the burdens of life. That place was Battleview, North Dakota and that time was childhood...pancakes topped with Rhubarb sauce, Rhubarb Custard pie...the rich black dirt where the Rhubarb grew, sticking to my fingers...burying King Kelly of Rockland County, our German Shepard, in the same rich soil...I thought it would make him come back to us, like the Rhubarb, year after year.

These days, whenever Rhubarb hits the produce section of my local grocery store it baffles the checkout girls. “What is this?” is usually what I hear, or “no, it isn't unripe celery”, is what I have to say. I love a vegy that baffles! And yes, it is actually a vegy. But when it first came to the US it went westward with the settlers as an ingredient for pies or jams so here it is classified as a fruit. In Central Asia, I think it has some medicinal purposes; and it is eaten raw, dipped in sugar by the Scandinavians. However, I might be making these things up because I want it to be thought of as worldly.

I made a Rhubarb Cheesecake a few years ago and one of my nieces, Jessica, just loved it and asks me all the time to make it again. So in honor of her upcoming dance recital, I am going to make a Rhubarb Swirl Cheesecake. When I made it before I had never made a cheesecake, I am not much of a baker. It is too restricting to me. I am a dash here, pinch there kind of cook. Baking is way to precise for me. But, Jessica is worth the focus. Then, I am going to try making beef brisket tacos with a sweet and heat slaw that uses Rhubarb and Jalapenos!

I am going to start with the cheesecake because that is what I have the best chance of screwing up.

First we are going to rinse, then chop the Rhubarb, very small pieces.


I have seen Rhubarb desserts made with large pieces that make it look like celery that is too big for its soup. It can be off putting. I feel like food is 75% presentation so, you do the math.

I use a few lemon slices because I think it helps the Rhubarb keep its color though I don't really know; but also, it is a nice compliment to Rhubarb. Then, just a couple teaspoons of sugar. Rhubarb is very watery so you don't need liquid necessarily to heat this up. Just a few drops of lemon juice, your sugar and your 'vegy'!



I bring it to a boil and it goes fast; in a matter of minutes it is exactly how I want it and I remove it from the heat and set it aside...


...by the way, you would not believe the smell in here! It is so pure ~ sweet, floral and crisp. I am instantly transported to 9 years old.

You can quickly make the crust. Melt butter and add crushed graham crackers...I use sugar and cinnamon topped graham crackers from the cookie isle at the grocery store.


Then, I just mash until it is pretty fine. I then press it into the springfoam pan and bake for 7-10 minutes in a 375 degree oven.




Now I take my room temperature cream cheese, two and a half packages (8 Oz), a cup of sour cream and a dash of vanilla extract and blend it.


I use sweetened condensed milk in lieu of sugar, just half a can. I am not actually sure why other then the fact that I don't normally have sugar in the house so I have gotten used to using the sweetened condensed milk.


Then, add two eggs.


Just blend for a minute.

Now, pour half into the pan,


Add half of the Rhubarb sauce, and swirl:


Then do another layer and you are ready to prepare for baking.



Wrap foil all around the bottom of your pan, then place in a pan with water covering the bottom:


Now it is ready to bake at 350 for one hour. Or until the center is almost set.

Once it is cooked, I let it cool for ten minutes, then run a knife around the pan to release the spring foam. I cool another hour and then I top it with a sour cream and Rhubarb glaze. I may or may not have burned the top, but you will never know with this rich solution!


Now it goes into the fridge for several hours.

OK, now for our Beef Brisket Taco's with Rhubarb & Jalapeno Slaw...

I just rub some spices on my brisket ~ paprika, tumeric, salt, paper, garlic powder, chyanne pepper and the secret ingredient ~ I rub it down in sweetened condensed milk. Then pop it in a 300 degree oven to cook slowly.


My slaw is really simple:
Green cabbage, shredded; chopped cliantro, diced jalapeno and diced Rhubarb tossed is red wine vineger and olive oil, salt and pepper.

.Once the meat is cooked, I toss it with cilantro and diced shallots.


Now it is time to eat!


Delish!

And Dessert...

I better wrap it up so there is some left for Jessica! Sooo yummy!!

Oh and for Rhubarb the third way I see from Webster's that using Rhubarb in the slang it means a heated debate, quarrel or fight. Anyone who has ever had to sit in a meeting with me where we are discussing something I am passionate about knows I am pretty capable of Rhubarb!













1 comment:

  1. Sharyn, your blog is beautiful, just as your cooking (and you of course). I love the presentation of your writing and the pictures... simply lovely- Frances

    ReplyDelete