Sunday, May 13, 2012

May 13th, Mother's Day Pancakes


Today is Mother's Day so in honor of my mother I am digging deep into my cooking archives all the way back to the first time I ever cooked for the public. I was 10 years old and was making Butterfly Pancakes for my 4H presentation. I earned a 2nd place ribbon but am confident these pancakes were first place material; I just couldn't figure out how to hold my mirror at the end so the judges could see the magic.

Thank goodness we don't need the smoke and mirror trick now!


The coolest thing about these pancakes is that they have been a staple of my arsenal all these years since that 10 year old, red ribbon day. They have stood the test of time.

I have loved cooking them as a young daughter for Mother's Day and Father's Day breakfasts in bed. I have made them for the kids when I was a nanny, hoping to impress them. And my favorite has been to create them with my nieces and nephews over the years, hoping they could see in the wings just how much I adore each of them.

So to get started, you gather up your favorite pancake mix.


Or in my case, I picked Hungry Jack Wheat Blend because it was on sale, you only need to add water and it sounds more nutritious.

With this recipe you can choose to have syrup or not since we are going to make a sauce to die for it, you don't really need it.

OK, so the pancake mix is for the wings, now we need a body. So start your link sausages up in a pan. They take the longest to cook. Even longer then the sauce.


For the sauce...it's back...Rhubarb!


You will also need strawberries, sugar to taste (I love to taste the authenticity of the Rhubarb, but some folks need more sweetness, fine either way), a lemon slice and medium high heat.



And just stir occasionally to help it along. You may be tempted to add a liquid, but remember, Rhubarb has a lot of moisture so you really don't need any.

Let's see, the sausage are getting close, the sauce is simmering; let's start our wings! Just follow the directions on the box.


Because it is a celebration, I am going to cook my pancakes in some butter. But a spray Pam is just fine.



Ah, you can see all the imperfections of my pan...just think of the lovely mouths this pan has fed...or poisoned, depending on the nature of their visit and how much wine I may have had.

Now, pour in your batter, and wait for the holes to appear.


This obviously is not my test cake...that one was a hot mess....but I encourage you to go a head and count on one test cake when you are measuring in the beginning. This way you can practice the perfect flip.


I would have shown you that in slow motion but I can't flip and hold the camera at the same time. If I could I would surely be on Food Network, or America's got Talent.

Now, let's take our Butterfly out of its cocoon. I stacked two pancakes here.



Incidentally, it is laid out on my Mom and Dad's wedding china.

Then cut the stack down the middle and turn each half out to make the wings.


Add the body.



The antenna.





I am using Rosemary today, which I also added a pinch of to the sauce (ancient Freckle Face secret).

Now, we can add the sauce and decorate the plate.


I wish I could explain to you just how decadent this sauce is. I made enough to go on Vanilla Bean ice cream that I may treat myself too later; since after all, I am a God Mother...Leave the Gun, take the Rhubarb sauce...

Happy Mother's Day!
















No comments:

Post a Comment