Saturday, April 21, 2012

April 21st

My first job in a food environment was at the tender age of 13. It was at a place called Green Shutter Tearoom in Tiger, Georgia. The owner was an 84 year old woman who cooked everything on a wood stove. Yes, a wood stove. The restaurant was opened only in the summer, seven days a week. I had to be there at 6:30 in the morning and usually worked until 4:30 in the afternoon. I have forever held the secrets of Maude Fisher's cooking in the lock box that is my heart and mind. How she lured people from Texas to Canada, assuming they were getting farm raised meat and vegys, to come and taste her slow roasted beef tenderloin, 'new' potatoes and ridiculously good butter soaked green beans, will never be revealed by me. But, you could say, at a young age, I learned the reality of working in a restaurant. It has long hours, it is hard, challenging work, and it has its illusions.

To make someone happy ~ a satisfied palette, a full belly and a memory ~ is a tradeoff well worth that journey.

That first restaurant experience was about seeing happy customers through comfort food. Fast forward to when I was 19 and working at Athens Country Club; that experience was all about learning of the finer things in life ~ Beef Wellington, Trout en Papillote, white glove service and Scotch.

So in homage to my roots in good dining; I am attempting Trout en Papillote today...and you can rest assured, there is a secret or two that you won't be able to see or guess at ~ that is the magic of cooking!

I am going to start with a Steelhead Trout, salt and cracked pepper, and capers...

I know, right, it looks like Salmon...does this mean you really never do know what fish product you are getting at the supper market just like The Today Show reported?

At any rate, I am adding these ingredients...which will work whether I am a Salmon or a Trout...


There is lemon slices and a tablespoon of diced tomato, teaspoon of greek olive, chopped; smashed garlic glove and arugula sprigs. I layer the goodies on top of the fish.

 Then, for what ever reason, I wrap it in the parchment paper like it is a burrito. Though, I am quite sure at the Club it was more of some elegant pocket.

I have always worked as a hostess or server once I left Ms Fisher's womb. Trying to recreate the treasures I have served patrons over the years is a challenge and a lot of fun. With that said, I don't remember what the chefs at Athens Country Club put in this papiolltte. I just remember slicing it open for the guests and being fixated on the aroma. You, as I did, can pick whatever ingredients you happen to have available to use with your fish. No matter what, it ends up being a cool presentation! And, because it is steamed in the paper the flavors just come alive like jumping beans.

Once it has baked in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes, let it rest for a few minutes, then take a good knife and cut along the thick edge of your 'burrito'....



Once it is sliced open you can just sort of let the entree shimmy on out. You will have some lovely juice now too.

The aroma fills the air...

You will love this dish and appreciate how easy it is to do without a) breaking the bank and b) breaking the tradition of the dish. The key I think is picking fresh ingredients and flavors that lend a hand to one another. The fish is lovely and flaky !

Try it, and tell me how it went!

Good Luck and Eat Life Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment