Sunday, April 15, 2012

April 7th

Easter Sunday went like this.

I awoke at 5:00 am because I was worried I wouldn't wake up at 6:00 am when I was supposed to. Mass is at 8:15 and I have nothing to wear and a long drive. When you make the mistake of only attending Mass on Christmas, Easter, weddings and funerals, chances are you are not going to have a closet full of church clothes. So I spend most of the 5-6 o'clock hour mixing and matching in my head.

Mass was lovely; I don't know why I don't go more often. Maybe it is that everyone there is always with their spouse and kids and I don't have either of those so I feel out of place. Which, I know, doesn't have anything to do with why you go to Mass.

After Mass the family is coming out to the 'farm' which consists of two houses, a barn, and a spread of land freckled with Rhode Island Red's and Herefords. I didn't realize they were coming straight from Mass so I divert everyone to the one of the two houses that my mother and her husband live in and away from the one I live in. My nine year old nephew, Wade, is in the car with me and he says, “Aunt Sharyn, I can help you clean your house; do you want one of these?”, and hands me a mini Twizzler from his Easter basket.

He cranks up the vacuum the second he gets in my house. He checks in with me after each room, both to see where he should go next and also to see if I want some Whoppers. I would short change him if I called him a great kid.

I start the potato salad and deviled eggs. It is casual; low key. There is no roast cooking all day, slaving in the kitchen meal. It is a play golf in the front yard;


meander to the creek;


hang out on the front porch kind of cooking day.


These are the days where you can't go wrong.

There is a lushness in family gathering on a special day. It is rich with banter and laughter and wine and food baked, grilled, boiled, and burnt with love.

The fresh country air gives off exhaustion that you crave; like a runner's high. Everyone liking your deviled eggs can do the same.











No comments:

Post a Comment