Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 30, 2012 ~ Creamy Comfort

I am pretty sure I live a good life. I don't have shiny things to show you to prove it or overflowing accolades or a Butler to get you tea; but I have the love of people who I care about and I know loved ones who want the best for me and worry about me when it rains. Even more, I have have an opportunity in this life to love and worry about others when it rains. And these past few days, boy has it rained on some of my loved ones!

Hurricane Sandy, and some crazy cold front stretching to Wisconsin combined to leave me glued to the weather channel and Facebook so I could see what was happening to my loved ones in their towns and then of course what they had to say about it...!!!  

Because so many of these loved ones are family, I decided to make cod fish stew; it is a recipe that Grandma Bortle brought us; but I believe my Dad perfected it; because I thought he was perfect. So this one is for you, my loved ones...


Just a few ingredients - potatoes, cod fish fillets, onion, garlic, shallots, milk, whipping cream, salt and pepper.


And a lot of butter...hence, the comfort!


Saute the Shallots, onion, garlic and salt and pepper.


Then add your cod fish.

Meanwhile, boil your potatoes. I used red here because I had them and kept the skin on to shake things up. Then combine with cream, milk and cod fish mixture.


I find you have to continually add salt and peeper as it all blends. I also do a butter/flour melted mix in the microwave to help thicken the stew. I do that mixture in the microwave...and am realizing that is all I use the microwave for. 


My dad always toasted white bread, topped it with butter then coated it with the stew. I can just think about it and feel safe, comforted. Maybe it was just my Dad that made me feel that way, but I am hoping it is also the stew...and if I could, I would have it delivered to every one of my loved ones who are dealing with the aftermath of this crazy storm! Or, the aftermath of any other devastation ...and would hope, for you, comfort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment