Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Overdue in September ~ Trader Joe's to the Rescue!


I recently made a trip to Trader Joe's. Believe it or not I have actually only shopped at one a couple of times. Once was a rush in for flowers for my nieces' dance recital in Marietta and another was rushing in to get pita chips and cheese for a last minute party invite I scored.

But this day, I meandered, absorbed and participated in the joy of a Trader Joe's.

And here is the damage...


...what to make first??

Well the figs are 'thyme' sensitive, so lets start there.I find the black figs, goat cheese, prosciutto, and whole grain flat bread. I pull out the olive oil and garlic spread as the base and we are off and running with a cool pizza.

   
I threw on the prosciutto, sliced figs, cheese and bake...


This was Delicious.! 

But the best part of this day was this.

When I arrived at the store there was a class of special education students from the local high school learning basic living skills at the store. I purposefully stayed behind them down each isle. Except the wine one of course. I enjoyed their journey through the store.There seemed to be a great deal of talk and learning around the fresh fruit - "I like grapes, I don't know what this is"...and chips..."I like sour cream and onion, I shouldn't eat this"...   

I realized how food is not universal. Other then the sustainability to living and breathing. These kids where here learning about food; food for the most part that some were never going get to experience...it was just part of an exercise to them.  

Not every kid, or grown up, gets to experience fig & goat cheese, or peace and quite, or hugs and kisses . 

Life is so different and unbelievable ridiculous for each of us.  I never take my opportunities for granted. I just hope I make the best of them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment